Highlights of Peru with Galapagos Legend East Cruise
Brochure Type: Latin America 2022
You're in for a treat travelling on this Peru tour, uncovering local culture at Machu Picchu, browsing local markets in Lima, marvelling at Quechua textile art and sampling a classic pisco sour. Gain a unique perspective into mystical Easter Island and swim with turtles, sea lions, and manta rays on the Galapagos Islands.
- Explore Lima and Cusco with a Local Specialist
- Visit the outdoor market at Pisac, the ruins at Ollantaytambo, two visits to the 15th century fortress of Machu Picchu, historic Sacsayhuaman and the Larco Museum in Lima
- Scenic Drive through the Sacred Valley and in Peru's Andean highlands
- Scenic Train Ride to Machu Picchu aboard the Vistadome train
- Connect with Locals Visit a local market with Chef Ignacio and enjoy a special lunch at his cooking school.
- Dive into Culture Guided visit to the Larco Museum, which houses the largest private collection of pre-Columbian art in the world.
- Dive into Culture Visit the Pisac market displaying indigeneous Quechua arts and crafts from communities from the surrounding highlands.
- Dive into Culture Visit a local chicheria for some traditional chicha tasting.
- Dive into Culture Enjoy cusquenian dishes and a folkloric dance perfomance.
- MAKE TRAVEL MATTER Meet a master Quechua weaver and ambassador for Andean traditions.
- Stays with Stories Stay at Sonesta Posadas del Inca Yucay, a former 18th-century colonial-style monastery in the Sacred Valley.
- 1 Be My Guest
- 1 Farewell Dinner
- 1 Regional Dinner
- 12 Breakfasts
- 4 Lunches
- 5 Dinners
- A Trafalgar Bonus all Intra-Air Flights: Lima to Cusco and Cusco to Lima, including porter service at all airports.
- All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
- All porterage and restaurant gratuities
- An expert Travel Director and professional Driver
- Audio headsets for flexible sightseeing
- Breakfast daily and up to half of your evening meals
- Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trusted
- Luxury air-conditioned coach with Wi-Fi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys)
- Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
- Optional Experiences and free time
- Tickets for a ride aboard the Vistadome train to Machu Picchu
Call (513) 541-2187 for more information or to book today! Mention code 16627891
- Tour Operator
- Trafalgar Tours
- Offer valid through 9/30/2022
- 13 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Lima||Arrive Lima: Welcome to the Capital of the New World - the launch pad to our effortlessly delivered encounter with the iconic and unexpected highlights of Peru. On arrival in Lima, you'll be transferred to your hotel in the exclusive barrio of San Isidro where you'll enjoy a Welcome Reception this evening to meet your Travel Director and travel companions.|
|Day 2||Experience the Sights and Flavours of Lima||Experience the Sights and Flavours of Lima: Connect with the colonial heritage of Francisco Pizzaro's 'City of Kings', admiring the colonial splendour of Lima's UNESCO-listed Historic Centre. Stand in the birthplace of this ancient, yet modern city, surrounded by the Baroque facades of Cathedral of Lima and Palace of the Union. See the Church of San Francisco and discover its hidden catacombs. Celebrate Lima's status as the culinary capital of South America and Connect With Locals when you meet Ignacio Barrios, who has worked alongside many of Peru's most award-winning chefs. We visit a local market where Ignacio will explain how Peruvian fruits, vegetables, seafood and meats are the basis of Peruvian cooking. Then, continue to Chef Ignacio's cooking school where we'll enjoy a demonstration on how to prepare some of Peru's most popular dishes and have an opportunity to sample some at a Be My Guest experience lunch before spending the rest of the day at leisure.|
|Day 3||The Sacred Valley||Journey to the Sacred Valley: Board a morning flight to Cusco and the Sacred Valley. Dive Into Culture when you visit the Pisac market, displaying Quechua arts and crafts, then continue to a former 18th century colonial-style monastery in the Sacred Valley, our hotel for the night. Connect With Locals and meet Nilda Callanaupa Alvarez, a master Quechua weaver, and the first person from her village to attend university. She has been an ambassador for Andean traditions since she began learning ancient pre-Columbian weaving techniques as a young girl in the 1960s. MAKE TRAVEL MATTER Experience as your visit helps to preserve and promote traditional pre-Columbian weaving techniques in the 21st century.|
Sonesta Posadas del Inca Yucay
|Day 4||Explore the iconic Machu Picchu||Explore the iconic Machu Picchu: The mystical empire of the Incas takes centre stage today. We visit the famous Sacred Valley stronghold of Ollantaytambo with a Local Specialist, before boarding the Vistadome train (light snack included) for our epic journey to Machu Picchu, one of the New Seven Wonders of the World. Delve into the mysteries of this once-great civilisation, admiring the 15th century stone ruins of temples, palaces and terraces perched high amidst the clouds. Join your Local Specialist for an exploration of the iconic great Temple of the Sun, the House of the Priest, the Sacred Plaza and the Intihuatana, an intricately carved rock most likely used as a sundial centuries ago. We return to our hotel where we dine tonight.|
El Mapi by Inkaterra
|Day 5||The sites of Machu Picchu and Cusco||The sites of Machu Picchu and Cusco: The ancient ruins of Machu Picchu beckon again and we have an opportunity to re-connect with this ancient wonder. If you're feeling adventurous, hike up to the Gate of the Sun for stunning views over the fortress. We board a train to the Sacred Valley, then head to the colonial city of Cusco, stopping en route at a local chicheria. Dive Into Culture and enjoy the sweet flavours of chicha as you learn how this Peruvian corn beer is brewed by the local women.|
|Day 6||Step Back in Time in Cusco||Step Back in Time in Cusco: Embark on a sightseeing tour of the sacred city of Cusco this morning with your Local Specialist, admiring the 16th century Spanish colonial buildings that stand on the foundations of former Inca temples and palaces. See the baroque Cathedral on the Plaza de Armas and 17th century Church of Santo Domingo. Visit the ruins of the Sacsayhuaman fortress and see nearby warehouses where the Incas once stored their grain. The afternoon is free to explore on your terms. This evening, Dive Into Culture and gather for a Regional Dinner at a local restaurant, enjoying Cusquenian dishes and ancestral dance performances.|
|Day 7||Delve into Pre-Columbian Art in Lima||Delve into Pre-Columbian Art in Lima: A leisurely start to our day sees us return to Lima this afternoon. Meet a Local Specialist and Dive Into Culture at the Larco Museum, which houses the largest private collection of pre-Columbian art in the world. This evening we join our travel companions for a Farewell Dinner in the museum's garden restaurant.|
|Day 8||Travel to Quito||Travel to Quito: Transfer to the airport for your onward flight to Ecuador (flight not included in holiday price). Enjoy a warm welcome in Quito where you will be greeted at the airport and taken to your hotel.|
|Day 9||Uncover Historic Quito||Uncover Historic Quito: Visit the historical centre of Quito, which was the first place in the world to be designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and travel to the 'Middle of the World' to stand on the Equator. Enjoy the rest of the day at leisure.|
|Day 10||Bartolome Island and Galapagos penguins||Bartolome Island and Galapagos penguins: Discover a land that inspired Darwin to form his Theory of Natural Selection. On arrival at Baltra airport, transfer to the M/V Galapagos Legend. Sail to Bartolome Island, hiking to its summit for soul-stirring views, then snorkel in the midst of Galapagos penguins.|
M/V Galapagos Legend
|Day 11||South Plaza Islet and the Famous Galapagos Sea Lions||South Plaza Islet and the Famous Galapagos Sea Lions: Our first destination today is South Plaza Island, home to the famed Galapagos sea lions and the unusual prickly pear cactus tree which dot the island's red landscape. Next is North Seymour Island, on whose long sandy beach and rocks, the resident sea lions and marine iguanas sun themselves.|
|Day 12||Uncover San Cristobal Island||Uncover San Cristobal Island: We journey to Pitt Point this morning, ascending to a high point on the steep volcanic tuff hill to see if we can spot all three of the booby species simultaneously. Cerro Brujo's coral sand beach is our next destination, where we can connect with the resident sea lions or snorkel in the shadow of Witch's Hill.|
|Day 13||San Cristobal Island||Depart San Cristobal Island: Enjoy a first-hand encounter with the giant tortoises of La Galapaguera de Cerro Colorado, a tortoise reserve that protects the island's tortoise population. Your Galapagos exhibition at its end, transfer to San Cristobal Airport for your return flight to Quito. Airport arrival time in Quito will be at 7 p.m.; please be aware when booking your flights.|
- Trip prices include: Galapagos National Park Fee: US$100 per adult (US$50 per child under 11); Galapagos Transit Control Card: US$20 per person. Taxes and gratuities to shipboard personnel and cruise guides.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class