Brochure Type: Europe 2018
Discover the scenic delights and delicious cuisine of this forgotten part of Spain. Compare Oviedo's ancient churches and resting relics of St. James with Barcelona's captivating Sagrada Familia.
Top Rated Highlights
- Madrid: With your Local Expert, see the Royal Palace, the monument to Cervantes in the Plaza de Espana, the grandiose Cibeles Fountain, Parliament and Puerta del Sol.
- Santiago de Compostela: The Romanesque interior of the cathedral is magnificent. Let a Local Expert take you through the Gateway of Glory to witness the final stage of one of the world's most ancient pilgrimages.
- Santiago de Compostela: Enjoy an guided tour of the Old Town.
- Costa Verde: Experience the coastal vistas of Asturias.
- Oviedo: Led by your Local Expert, see 1,000-year-old wall paintings in some of Europe's oldest churches and admire the incredible altarpiece, one of the finest in Europe,when you visit the Cathedral of the Holy Saviour.
- Picos de Europa National Park: Venture into this magnificent national park to admire the stunning picturesque scenery. Visit the holy cave of Covadonga and see the tomb of Pelayo who is celebrated for winning the Battle of Covadonga against the Muslim Moors in 722 and later became the first King of Asturias.
- Santillana del Mar: Step back in time when you visit this perfectly preserved and 'most beautiful village in Spain.'
- Bilbao: See the spectacular modern Guggenheim Museum.
- Getaria: See the rock known as El Raton, or the mouse.
- San Sebastian: Enjoy a guided walking tour of the Old Quarter including Plaza de la Constitucion. Ascend Monte Igueldo for views of the town and La Concha Bay.
- Pamplona: Spend free time exploring this city, known for its annual Running with the Bulls festival.
- Barcelona: Explore the medieval maze of the Barri Gotic, the Gothic Quarter, with your Local Expert and travel along Passeig de Gracia to see the elegant wrought-iron street lamps and flamboyant Modernist buildings.
- Barcelona: Venture inside Gaudi's extraordinary masterpiece, the Sagrada Familia and marvel at the contrasts of architecture. Above see its giant, tree-like pillars and spectacular vaulting. Admire the wonderful rainbow of the incredible stained-glass windows.
- Scenic Drives: Enjoy some of Spain's best scenery as you travel through the Rueda wine region, along Costa Verda, through Picos de Europa, along Costa Vasca and Costa de Cantabria and through the La Rioja region.
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary.
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination.
- If your arrival and/or departure flights are as per the itinerary start and end dates, then transfers are available at scheduled times. If your flights are outside these times, or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport.
Call (513) 541-2187 for more information or to book today! Mention code 13867151
- Tour Operator
- Insight Vacations
- Offer valid through 6/30/2018
- 12 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Your Journey Begins||Your Journey Begins: Board your overnight flight to Europe (Please ask about our great deals).|
|Day 2||Madrid||Welcome to Madrid.: On arrival at Madrid airport, your airport transfer leaves for your hotel at 09:00, 11:00, 13:30 or 16:00. Relax and settle in before meeting your Travel Director at 17:30. Your Welcome Dinner is at a local restaurant and provides the opportunity to mingle with your fellow guests over a pleasant evening of good food and wine. (Dinner with Wine)|
Hesperia Madrid/Barcelo Torre de Madrid.
|Day 3||Madrid||Madrid of the Bourbons.: Your Local Expert will guide you along the noble avenues past the Cibeles Fountain and down the Gran Via to the monument to Cervantes in the Plaza de Espana. Cross the Puerta del Sol and continue to the Prado Museum. Your visit will be a highlight of your escorted journey. Discover countless works by Velazquez, Goya, Titian, Botticelli, Rubens and others as you are guided by a local art historian. The afternoon is free for you to relax at a cafe or shop in the boutiques. (Buffet Breakfast)|
Hesperia Madrid/Barcelo Torre, Madrid.
|Day 4||Santiago||Over the Guadarrama Mountains to Santiago.: Journey through the Guadarrama Mountains to the infinite horizons of Old Castile. Some of Spain's most fashionable white wines are produced in Rueda and this morning we have the opportunity to learn how they are made and sample the delights of the Verdejo grape. Your travel continues past the impressive Castillo de la Mota, conquered by Queen Isabella, and on to Santiago de Compostela, where the tomb of the Apostle St. James was miraculously discovered in the Middle Ages. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
NH Collection Santiago de Compostela.
|Day 5||Santiago de Compostela||Saintly Santiago de Compostela.: (Relaxed Start) Become acquainted with some of Europe's finest historical buildings during an orientation with your Local Expert. The monumental square, Praza do Obradoiro, is pure grandeur in granite. Look up from the steady trickle of present-day pilgrims to the cathedral facade to see an ensemble of soaring towers, arches and windows, festooned with architectural frills. Venture inside and once through the Gateway of Glory, you're privy to the same vision that has greeted pilgrims since the Middle Ages. The faithful may choose to pass behind the ornate high altar to touch the giant 13th century gilded effigy of St. James and follow in the steps of the pilgrims along The Way of St. James. Relax during your free time or explore the narrow streets and old squares of this city. (Buffet Breakfast)|
NH Collection Santiago de Compostela.
|Day 6||OVIEDO||Along the Costa Verde to Oviedo.: Pass through the ancient forests of Galicia and cross to the Green Coast of Asturias - one of Spain's most beautiful, named after the colour of the sea and the pine and eucalyptus trees that line the shore. Your route reveals glorious coastal vistas before turning inland to travel through old villages and deep valleys en route to Oviedo. A Local Expert will show you the 9th century churches built when the city was the capital of Christian Spain. Visit the Cathedral of the Holy Saviour in the stately square of Plaza Alfonso II. Admire the incredible altarpiece, one of the finest in Europe. A short drive brings you to the Asturian coast and the Bay of Biscay. Stop at the delightful city of Gijon that has a history dating back 5,000 years. Meet a true local, Flor, who will invite you to join her for dinner. Hear about daily life in this up-and-coming seaside city as you enjoy a delicious meal, typical of the region, that Flor has freshly prepared from locally-sourced ingredients, accompanied by delicious local apple cider. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Barcelo Oviedo Cervantes.
|Day 7||Santander||Picturesque Santillana del Mar and on to Santander.: See the unique Roman bridge in Cangas de Onis as you head into the foothills of the Picos de Europa, a national park encompassing spectacular mountain and gorge scenery. Visit the holy cave of Covadonga, a shrine to Pelayo, who achieved the first Christian victory over the Moors in 722. Enjoy views of the Costa de Cantabria while travelling to Santillana del Mar, arguably the most beautiful village in Spain. Stroll through the rustic cobblestone streets, admiring stone houses decorated with carved, heraldic symbols and reach the delightful church square. Continue on to the sophisticated beach resort of Santander. (Buffet Breakfast)|
Eurostars Hotel Real, Santander.
|Day 8||San Sebastian||Bilbao, Costa Vasca and San Sebastian.: In nearby Bilbao, admire the striking modern architecture of the Guggenheim Museum, one of the world's most spectacular buildings. Enjoy the views as you are driven along part of the Costa Vasca, dotted with small coastal fishing villages. Pause in Getaria, at the mouth of the Urola, to see El Raton, the mouse-shaped rock. Continue to San Sebastian, pearl of the Cantabrian coast, set on its shell-shaped bay. Admire its beauty as you walk with your Local Expert through the Old Quarter. See the numbered balconies of the Plaza de la Constitucion, a reminder of the days when bullfights were held in the square. Atop Monte Igueldo there are breathtaking views of the town and La Concha Bay. (Buffet Breakfast)|
Barcelo Costa Vasca, San Sebastian.
|Day 9||San Sebastian||San Sebastian, Pearl of the Cantabrian Coast.: Enjoy a day at leisure to stroll along San Sebastian's boardwalk and with the city harbour filled with fishing boats and pleasure crafts, you can enjoy a number of sporting activities on its large sandy beach. Perhaps you'll want to explore the nearby French village of Saint-Jean-de-Luz, also known as Little Paris? Maybe stroll the promenade of the famous La Concha bay or enjoy the boutiques of the Old Town? (Buffet Breakfast)|
Barcelo Costa Vasca, San Sebastian.
|Day 10||Barcelona||Pamplona and on to Barcelona.: Journey to the famed town of Pamplona, known for its Running of the Bulls festival. With time free for you to explore, perhaps take a stroll to the famous Estafeta Street or visit Cafe Iruna, immortalised by Ernest Hemingway in the 'The Sun Also Rises.' Your travels continue to Barcelona, the vibrant capital of Catalonia, a land that retains its own distinctive language, culture and traditions. (Buffet Breakfast)|
Hotel NH Hesperia Barcelona Presidente.
|Day 11||Barcelona||Barcelona, City of Gaudi.: Wake up ready to embrace the city's artistic heritage. Join a Local Expert in the heart of the Barri Gotic, the Gothic Quarter, and walk through the Roman Gate to see its narrow lanes and old squares. You are driven along the Passeig de Gracia, adorned with elegant wrought-iron street lamps and the most flamboyant Modernist buildings. Continue through the Eixample district to behold Gaudi's extraordinary masterpiece, the Sagrada Familia. As you venture inside, look above to see its giant, tree-like pillars and spectacular vaulting. Admire the wonderful rainbow of the incredible stained-glass windows. With the afternoon at leisure, you are free to relax or continue your exploration on your own. In the evening, join your Travel Director and newfound friends at a local restaurant. Raise your glass and toast your travels during your delightful Celebration Dinner. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Hotel NH Hesperia Barcelona Presidente.
|Day 12||Depart Madrid||Depart Madrid: After breakfast depart for Madrid. A stop is made at Madrid airport in the early evening, followed by the Madrid trip hotel. (Buffet Breakfast)|
- Notes: Twin prices are per person. Solo Traveller Savings: There is a 25% reduction to the Single Supplement on 6 Apr, 11 May, 1 Jun, 8 Jun, 7 Sep, 5 Oct and 26 Oct, subject to availability.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class